Homework
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Homework

2015/16 Tutorial Assignments

Home  Latest imagesLatest images  Register  Log in  

Week 3 Homework Due Sept 8

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ST_Tracy

Week 3 Homework Due Sept 8 Empty
PostSubject: Week 3 Homework Due Sept 8   Week 3 Homework Due Sept 8 EmptyWed 02 Sep 2015, 12:57 am

Due Sept. 8:  Find a poem to learn and recite. 

Here are some websites you can find good poetry for dramatic interpretation...
1. www.poetrysoup.com/famous_poems/
2. www.poetryfoundation.org/learning/article/178700

If you click on the name of a poem that sounds interesting, it will take you to that poem.

I checked and The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe would take about 6-6.5 minutes to recite. The Highway Man by Alfred Noyes takes about 5 min. and 45 sec. 
These are a good length. Try keep it no less than 4, no more than 10. The following website will count the number of words in you poem if you cut and paste it into their calculator. It will also tell you approximately how long it would take to read or, in our case, recite.  
http://www.edgestudio.com/production/words-to-time-calculator

Also, continue looking for a good speech. It can be an excerpt, but it must make sense and be able to stand alone.

In class we'll continue working on axing fillers, speaking with inflection and body language.  Here are some notes from what we discussed in class today...

Here are some things that are important to remember when speaking in front of an audience and also to practice:

Projection and Diction: the back of the room must hear and understand what you're saying

Posture: chin up, shoulders back

Eye Contact: Make members of the audience feel like you're speaking directly to them

Speed: Talking fast may get you through the speech quickly, but it does nothing for your message. You don't want to appear nervous and unconfident; slow down and speak deliberately for effect when you want to emphasize a point.

Body Language: crossing arms, fidgeting, slouching, pacing, etc. makes people think you don't have anything important to say, can be distracting, and gives an overall bad impression; instead, use appropriate hand gestures, lean forward a little when making a point, smile once in a while. Relax, don't be rigid. You want to appear comfortable and approachable.

Avoid language like...I think, I guess, I suppose, etc. Be decisive and choose your words carefully. The thesaurus is your friend!
Back to top Go down

Week 3 Homework Due Sept 8
Page 1 of 1